NEW Shimano Catana FE
The Catana FE is the latest version of a Shimano classic. Offering exceptional value for money the Catana is a freshwater and in-shore saltwater spinning reel that can be used for all kinds of freshwater fishing. If you are looking for a freshwater spinning reel at a very affordable price, the Catana FE is one option you should not ignore. Ideal for a wide range of fishing, from lightweight and medium sized lures, to match and feeder fishing, the understated appearance looks fantastic and the performance is remarkable for a reel of this price. In use you’ll immediately notice the improved balance produced by Shimano’s latest G-Free body design. This body design is to be found on the very best Shimano reels and makes fishing easier over a long period of time. The smoothness you’ll feel comes from a combination of 3 Shimano Stainless Steel Ball Bearings plus a Roller Bearing, which ensures trouble free performance, even when playing the largest fish. Like top of the range Shimano reels, the aluminium spool has an AR-C design, which combined with Varispeed II line lay improves casting distance and accuracy, with both mono and braided lines. The Catana is guaranteed to give you many hours of fishing fun and excitement.
- Oscillation Type: Varispeed
- Spool Material: Aluminium cold forged
- Material Body: XT7
- Oscillation Speed: Regular
- Maximum Drag Force: 8.5kg
- Line Capacity: Nylon(mm-m)(Mono): 0.30-180/0.35-130
- Weight: 320g
- Gear ratio: 5.8:1
- Line Retrieve/Crank: 93cm
- Bearings: 3+1
So what do all these letters and numbers mean? I hear you say...
Let's try explain things here:
- BFS = Bait (Baitcaster) Finesse System
- C = Compact body, slightly smaller than the standard
- HG = High Gear, faster retrieve than the standard
- XG = Extra Gear... even faster than the HF version, these letters don't determine size
- S = Shallow spool, ideal for braid
- DH = Double Handle
- Ci4 = A lightweight material!
- MGL -Magnumlite, a reel with components, often spool made from a lighter metal than others, 30% lighter than Ci4!
- F or R = If the model name has F or R at the beginning, this is Front or Rear drag. The letter following the F determines the release age, so FK is newer than FJ. A little like the old car number plate system.
- 1, 2, 3000 etc = Determines the size which goes up with the number although the 2500 and 3000 are the same size, just the 3000 has a larger spool and sometimes different shaped handle... YES I know it is a bit confusing, but hopefully this helps a little in choosing the perfect reel for you.